Highway 9 church of Christ
Presents: Internet Bible Study Courses
|Lesson 17: Singing In Worship (Part 1)|
Singing has a very definite place in worshipping God in spirit and in truth.
We glorify God in our singing praises to His name. There are only nine
scriptures in the New Testament which specify the kind of music in the
worship of the church that God wishes in order for us to worship Him in
spirit and in truth. They are as follows:
All without exception specify only singing. Mechanical instruments of music in the worship of the church are not mentioned in the above scriptures or anywhere else in the New Testament because God has not authorized them. Those who do not respect God's word do not respect God.
God has commanded us to sing. That means each one of us. When people just sit through the song service and never attempt to sing (unless they can't sing) they are not obeying God. Or when people just sit and listen to a choir sing they are not obeying Godís command to sing. They are not "offering the fruit of our lips". Can someone else worship for us? I think not. There is no Biblical authority for a choir. Congregational A Capella singing is the only kind of music divinely authorized by the Lord for Christian worship. If we follow only what God has authorized in our singing in worship, then the whole congregation will sing without mechanical instruments of music.
Questions Lesson 17
Singing In Worship (Part 1)
1) (Matthew 26:30) What did Christ and His apostles do before they went to the Mount of Olives?
Went home first.
Took a nap.
Sung a hymn.
2) Singing is part of our worship to God.
3) (Acts 16:25) While Paul and Silas were in jail
They prayed and sang hymns to God.
They were trying to break out.
They were crying.
4) While in jail Paul played the guitar while Silas played the drums as they sang hymns to God.
5) (1 Corinthians 14:15) What are we to sing with?
The spirit and the understanding.
6) The above verse tells us we are to sing with a five piece band.
7) (Ephesians 5:19) When we sing praises to God, where are we to make the melody?
On a piano.
On an organ.
In our heart.
8) We are speaking to one another as we sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs.
9) (Colossians 3:16) As we sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs we are to sing with what?
Grace in our hearts.
10) We teach and admonish one another as we sing.
11) (Hebrews 13:15) The sacrifice of praise that we offer to God when we sing to Him
Can be performed on a piano.
Can be performed when we donít sing.
Is referred to as the fruit of our lips.
Copyright © 2001 internetbiblestudy